ABOUT PROF. UMAR MUHAMMAD LABDO
Prof. Umar Muhammad Labdo is a Nigerian Islamic scholar, author and Academician. He authored many books on different topics in Islamic Studies apart from lectures delivered nationwide in his effort to propagate the true teaching of Islam. He is popularly known as one of the leading figure that fights against introduction of innovations (Bid’ah) of any kind into the religion of Islam. His writes-up are mainly in three languages: Hausa, English and Arabic mostly on Islamic Monotheism (Tauheed), Creed (Aqeedah), Innovations (Bid’ah) and Islamic current global issues.
Prof. Umar Muhammad Labdo was born on 12th April, 1960 at Hausawa Quarters, of Gwale Local Government in the Northern Nigerian Commercial city of Kano. He started his early education in front of his father Mallam Muhammadu Labdo while also attending Qur’anic School from 1963 to 1973.
He attended Ma`ahad Sheikh Nasir Islamiyah Primary School, Kano from 1973 to 1977 then proceeded to School for Arabic Studies (S.A.S), Kano from 1977 to 1981.
He started his University education at Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto (Formerly University of Sokoto) in 1982 and graduated with Bachelor of Arts, Islamic Studies and Arabic in 1987.
He attended Bayero University, Kano for his M.A. degree on Islamic Studies where he specialized on Islamic Political Thought in 1990 and graduated in 1993. In 1994 he returned to Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto for his doctorate degree where he also specialized on Islamic Political Thought and finished in 1998 with Ph.d in Islamic Studies.
He lives in Sokoto for several years before he left to Uganda where he worked at Islamic University of Uganda as a lecturer and later senior lecturer from 1999 to 2002 where he returned to Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto until 2005 where he left for Katsina University, Katsina (now Al Qalam University) as a senior lecturer and later Acting Vice Chancellor of the University.
He left Katsina University, Katsina for Kaduna State University in 2009 as an Associate Professor/Reader Until 2013 where he transferred to Northwest University, Kano as a Professor. He is now a Dean, Faculty of Humanities, Northwest University, Kano.
Prof. Umar Muhammad Labdo Considered the following as some of his teachers that influenced and contributed to his highly successful career and of course his life:
1. Malam Muhammadu Labdo (his father)
2. Malam Yunusa Nadala
3. Malam Dahiru Fairamma
4. Dr. Tahir Maigari
5. Professor Abubakar Aliyu Gwandu
6. Professor Baqi Shu’aibu Agaka
Prof. Umar Muhammad Labdo is married with children.
1981-1982 Teacher, Turaki Primary School, Dan Hassan Town, Kura Local Govt., Kano State.
1987-1988 Teacher, Sultan Abubakar College, Sokoto. (N.Y.S.C)
1988-1989 Assistant Lecturer, State College of Arts and Sciences (S.C.A.S.) Kano.
1989-1999 Graduate Asst., Asst. Lect., Lect. II, Lect. I,Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto Nigeria.
1999-2002 Lecturer, Senior Lect., Islamic University in Uganda, Mbale, Uganda.
2003-2005 Senior Lecturer, Usmanu Danfodiyo University,Sokoto.
2004-2005 Sabbatical Leave at Shehu Shagari College of Education,Sokoto.
2005-2009 Senior Lecturer, Katsina University, Katsina.
2009-2013 Associate Professor/Reader, Kaduna State University
2013-Date Associate Professor, Northwest University, Kano.
FACULTY ACTIVITIES/ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE
1995-1999 Seminar Co-ordinator, Centre for Islamic Studies, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto.
1998-1999 Member, Examination Malpractice Committee, Centre for Islamic Studies, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto.
1998-1999 Member, Junior Staff Disciplinary Committee Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto.
2000-2002 Head, Department of Political Science, Islamic University in Uganda.
2000-2002 Acting Director, Centre for Postgraduate Studies, Islamic University in Uganda.
2000-2002 Acting Dean, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Islamic University in Uganda.
2000-2002 Chief Editor, Islamic University Journal, Islamic University in Uganda.
2003-2005 Chairman, Centre for Islamic Studies Syllabus Drafting/Revision Committee.
2004-2005 Secretary, Centre for Islamic Studies Post-Graduate Committee.
2005-2007 Head, Department of Islamic Studies, Katsina University, Katsina.
2005-2007 Dean, College of Humanities, Katsina University, Katsina.
2007-2009 Acting Vice Chancellor, Katsina University, Katsina
2013-Date Dean, Faculty of Humanities, Northwest University,Kano
COURSES/ WORKSHOPS ATTENDED
·Workshop on Institutional Management in Higher Education jointly organized by UNESCO/International Institute of Educational Planning, Paris-France and Management Training and Advisory Centre, Kampala-Uganda, 10-18 December, 2001.
COMMUNITY SERVICE (RECENT)
Guest Speaker, Sokoto National Seminar organized by Jama’atu Izalatil Bid’ah wa Iqamatis Sunnah (JIBWIS) under the theme Collective Action in Ahlus Sunnah Advocacy, 18-20 January, 2013. Presented a paper titled “Hadin Kai Tsakanin Masu Aikin Kira Zuwa Sunna.”
Guest Speaker, National Workshop for JIBWIS First Aid Group, Dutse-Jigawa State, 12-16, June, 2013. Delivered a paper titled “Gudunmawar ‘Yan Agaji ga Zaman Lafiyar Kasa.”
Speaker, Ramadan Symposium organized by Islamic Learning Centre, Kaduna, 28th July, 2013. Delvered a paped titled “Shugabanci a Daular Usmaniyya.”
Speaker, Pre-Ramadan Seminar organized by JIBWIS Katsina State Chapter, Katsina, 29 June, 2013. Delivered a paper titled “Ahamiyyatul Waqti Lada Al-Mufassirin.”
Speaker, Pre-Ramadan Seminar organized by JIBWIS Gombe State Chapter, Gombe, 6th July 2013. Delivered a paper titled “Miyagun Akidun Shi’a da Yadda za’a Kauce musu.”
Guest Speaker,Ramadan Lecture jointly organized by Gombe State Government, National Television Authority (NTA) Gombe and Jama’atu Nasril Islam, Gombe State Chapter, 16th July 2013. Delivered a paper titled “Mutuwa da Rayuwar Kabari a Musulunci.”
- Awarded Certificate of Service by Islamic University Foreign Students’ Association, Islamic University in Uganda, 2002.
- Awarded Certificate of Appreciation by Da’awah Secretariat, Islamic Univarsity in Uganda, 2002.
- Awarded Certificate of Honour by Katsina State Ministry for Religious Affairs, 2006.
- Awarded Certificate of Honour by King Saud University Riyad Alumni, Northen Nigeria Office, 2006.
- Awarded Certificate of Appreciation by Arabic Students’ Association, Katsina University Chapter, 2009.
- Awarded Certificate of Honour by Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria, Kaduna State University Chapter, 2011.
- Awarded Certificate of Honour by Markaz Fityah li Al-Da’awah wa Al-Tarbiyah wa Al-Ta’alim, Kano, 2011.
ORGANISATION OF SEMINARS/WORKSHOPS
* 15th April 2000 One-day Seminar on Globalisation and the Third World Counties. The lecture was given by two Professors from the American Cultural Centre, Kampala, Uganda.
* 20th February 2001 One-day Workshop on Research and Dissertation Writing (for postgraduate students).
* 3rd March 2001 One-day Seminar on the Issues at Stake in the Uganda Presidential Elections, 2001 (Jointly organised by the Department of Political Science and Political Science Students Association). Attended by the presidential candidates, including the incumbent, who was represented.
* 22-23 October 2001 Two-day General Seminar on the Islamisation of Knowledge Programme attended by scholars from inside and outside Uganda.
SUPERVISION/EXAMINATION OF DISSERTATIONS:
1. Al-Wilayah fi al-Zawaj bain al-Shari’ah wa al-Taqlid fi Iqlim Shamal Sharq Kiniyah (M.A. Shari’ah) 2001.
2. Tatbiq al-Hudud al-Shar’iyyah fi Wilayah Zamfara bi Nijeriya: Dirasah Tahliliyah Ijtima’iyah (M.A. Shari’ah) 2001.
3. Huquq al-Insan al-Shakhsiyyah fi al-Shari’ah al-Islamiyyah wa al-Nuzum al-Gharbiyyah: Dirasah Muqaranah (M.A. Shari’ah) 2002.
4. Impact of Hausa Films on the Morality of Muslim Youth in Sokoto State (M.A. Islamic Studies) 2004.
5. Edition and Translation of Sauq al-Ummah ila Ittiba’ al-Sunnah of Shaikh Uthman b. Foduye (M.A. Islamic Studies) 2004.
6. Al-Urf and its Application in Sokoto, Kebbi and Zamfara States (M.A. Islamic Studies) 2004.
1. Matsayin Sufanci da Darika a Musulinci (in Hausa). Published by al-Sunnah Publications, Kano, Nigeria, 1993. ISBN 978-184-192-8.
2. Littafin Nurul Albabi na Shaihu Mujaddadi Dan Fodiyo: Tahakiki, Ta’aliki da Fassara (in Hausa). Published by Shukur Printing Press, Sokoto, Nigeria, 2003. ISBN 978-2076-25-1.
3. Bidi’a da Tasirinta Mai Muni ga Al’umma na Salim Alhilali (Trans. from Arabic to Hausa). Published by The Path Publishing Company, Sokoto, Nigeria, 2004. ISBN 978-2076-86-4.
4. Bacin Tafarkin ‘Yan Shi’a da Aqidojinsu (in Hausa). Published by Ijaba Printing Investment, Sokoto, Nigeria, 2005. ISBN 978- 2076-98-8.
5. Tauhidi: Haqqin Allah A kan Bayinsa (in Hausa). Published by Ijaba Printing Investment, Sokoto, Nigeria, 2005. ISBN 978-2076-39-2.
6. Bayan Fasad Aqa’id al-Shi’a. 2nd Edition.Published by Merchant Yeoman Internantional Limited, Kaduna, 2010. ISBN 978-3505-98-7.
7. Dangantaka Da Auratayya Tsakanin Ahalul Baiti Da Sahabbai. Published by Zomo Press Ltd., Kaduna, 2010. ISBN 968-3075-97-8.
8. Wa Ya Kashe Hussaini? Published by Zomo Press Ltd., Kaduna, 2010. ISBN 968-3084-72-2.
1. Hukum al-Shar’ fi Akl Luhum al-Khail (in Arabic) published in Studies in Humanities, a Journal of the Usmanu Dandofiyo University, Sokoto, volume 4 January 1997. ISSN 0794-5639
2. Muhawalah al-Taufiq bain al-Falsafah wa al-Din: Dirasah Tahliliyah li Musahamatai al-Kindi wa Ibn Rushd (in Arabic) published in al-Nahdah, a journal of the Centre for Islamic Studies, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, Volume 1 October 1998. ISSN 10794-4829.
3. Abd Allah b. Foduye’s Intellectual Contribution to the Sakkwato Tajdid Movement and an Overview of his Diya’at series, published in Degel, a journal of the Faculty of Arts and Islamic Studies, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, Volume 2 September 1999. ISSN 0794-9316.
4. Kaset-Kaset na Hausa na Musulunci da Rawar da Suke Takawa Wajen Ci Gaban Hausa (in Hausa), published in Hausa Studies, a journal of the Department of Nigerian Languages, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, Volume 2 No.2 January 2000. ISBN 978-33308-9-6.
5. Technological Development and the Challenge of Nuclear Armament: A Legalistic Study of Islam’s Attitude Towards Weapons of Mass Destruction in Degel, Volume 3 June 2000. ISSN 0794-9316.
6. Dialogue and Conflict Resolution in Islam, in Islamic University Journal, a Journal of the Islamic University in Uganda, June 2000. ISSN 9970-801-006.
7. Abbas Mahmud al-Aqqad: His Life and Contribution to Islamic Political Thought, in Islamic University Journal, December 2000. ISSN 9970-801-01-5
8. From Occidentosis to Nifaq; A Survey of the Effects of Westernisation on the Minds of the Westernised Muslim Elites, in Islamic University Journal, December 2000. ISSN 9970-801-01-5
9. Women Political Participation in the Islamic Normative Period: An Analytical Inquiry, in Degel, Volume 4, February 2001. ISSN 0794 9316.
10. The Concept of Environment and Environmental Conservation in Islam, in Islamic University Journal, December 2001. ISSN 9970 801 02 4
11. Fundamentals of Zakat and its Modern Application: The Case of Zakat on Company and Shareholders, in Islamic University Journal, December 2001, ISSN 9970-801-02-4.
12. Globalization Versus Islamization: Common Desting or Separate Futures? CBR/ENRECA Occasional Paper Series, Kampala- Uganda, Vol 4/2003, ISBN 9970-516-89-0.
13. The Poet as a Revolutionary: The Life and Works of Alhaji Akilu Aliyu, in Degel, Vol. 6 August, 2003. ISBN 0794-9316.
14. Maukibin Qadiriyya: A Critical Apprisal of a Sufi Ritual Ceremony in Kano, in Centre for Islamic Studies Series No. 3, Sokoto. June, 2004. ISBN 978-2076-02-3.
15. Mabadi’ al-Hukm fi Fikr al-Aqqad, in Centre for Islamic Studies Series No. 3, Sokoto. June, 2004. ISBN 978-2076-02-3.
16. Catching them Young: Raising Generations for Nation-Building – the Islamic Model, in Isa Kaita Multi-Disciplinary Journal of Education, a journal of the Isa Kaita College of Education, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina State, vol. 3 No. 1 August, 2007. ISSN 1596-7107.
17. Application of Shari’ah in Nigeria, in Contemporary Issues in Islamic Jurisprudence (A book published in honour of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Nonourable Justice Idris Legbo Kutigi, CON, GCON, FCI, Arb.) ed. by Muhammad Lawal Ahmadu et al. Published by Rawel Fortune Resources, Benin City, 2009. ISBN 978-978-085-778-3.
18. Al-Harb al-Salibiyyah fi Thawb Jadid: Nazarah Naqdiyyah li al-Harakah al- Irhabiyyah al Amrikiyyah, in Danmarna International Journal of Islamic Culture and Heritage, a journal of Umaru Musa Yar’adua University, Katsina, vol. 3 No. 1 January, 2010. ISSN 2141-7253.